The Kottukapally Family Homestay
Glowingly reviewed in Conde Nast and the subject of a Gordon Ramsay show, this luxury homestay is very special cultural experience.
One of the many highlights here, is the rare chance to sample expertly prepared Syrian Christian cuisine: hostess Thressi is one of the world’s leading authorities; authoring ‘Syrian Christian Favourites’ (published in 4 languages around the world) and teaching Gordon about this style of cooking in an episode of Gordon’s Great Escapes – in which she bossed him about!
A rare opportunity to experience both traditional Kerala culture and the lifestyle of the colonial era at the same time. This substantial home of a local plantation owning family features their original 300 year old traditional house within its grounds.
The family have been prominent in the local community for many years, as John’s father was a parliamentarian in the Jawaharlal Nehru government, the first government of independent India. They own the oldest rubber plantation in India.
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner is included in the cost of your stay – it’s of a very high standard.
- 3 double bedrooms, with en suite, separate dressing room, air conditioning, antique furniture and sumptuous soft furnishings
- Large drawing room
- Large living room
- Large Dining Room
- Moghul Court – outside area
- Garden with tropical plants
- Full Board – breakfast, lunch and dinner included in your stay
Within a short walk:
- Pala Market & Town
- Four old churches
- Lalam Temple
- Local festivals in December to February
Within a short drive:
- Saint Alphonsa's pilgrim centre (India's first saint)
- Local Artisans
- Spice Walk
- Syrian and Indo-British Cuisine (included in room rates)
- Planter's Luncheon - A true taste of the colonial era. Luncheon served following traditional protocol. (included in room rates)
- Nazarani Sadhya - 30 unique Syrian Christian items, served on a banana leaf in 5 courses over 2 hours, and eaten in the local custom with your hands (included in room rates)
- Syrian Christian Cooking Classes - Conducted by Thressi John Kottukappally (Rs1,500 per half day session, per person)
- Visits to local artisans - Weaver, Bell Metal Smith, Potter etc (Transport charges only - on actual)
- Rubber Plantation Visit (Transport charges only - on actual)
- Tea Factory Visit(Transport charges only - on actual)
- Spice Walk - See how the spices you use at home grow in their natural environment (Transport charges only - on actual)
- Churches & Temple Visits (Transport charges only - on actual)
- Vagamon & Ayyampara - Plantation hill areas suitable for trekking (Transport charges only - on actual)
- Ayurvedic Massage (Rs600 per hour, per person)
- Treatments (depending on ailment)
- Kalari Lessons - Kerala's ancient martial art. (Cost depend on duration of course)
- There are many more opportunities to learn about Kerala culture for you to choose from
- Laundry (Rs5-30 per item)
- Wireless Internet (Free)
- Local Transfers (Free)
- Railway Transfers by Private A/c Car (Kottayam 27km, Rs750 approx)
- Airport Transfers by Private A/c Car (Cochin 75km, Rs2000 approx)
- Guide Services
- 3 double bedrooms, full board
Only one guest? When booking enter discount code 'singlekottu' for a £29 reduction on the room rate.
Click here to read Terms & Conditions