Thar Desert Hut Homestay
This is something very special. Accessible only by a 45 minute camel ride is this wonderfully simple mud hut home far out into the Thar Desert.
The hosts grew up in this desert environment and have, via a good education, developed the perfect example of sustainable tourism.
Here is the chance to experience the simplicity and serenity of life in a remote desert village. You stay in a mud hut next door to theirs. He will meet you in Jodhpur and be your guide throughout; she will cook you meals in the traditional way over a small fire.
This is definitely for those looking to get away from the bustle and tune in with nature. As well as the safaris you will see the night sky with no light other than the universe before you. You will want to sleep outside too ! You will experience the sun setting and rising, and the daily rhythm of life in the desert along side your friendly neighbours…
- Two desert huts with double beds (mud floor, sandstone walls, thatched roof)
- A western-style toilet and sink inside a nearby hut
- No electricity – a lamp is provided for your stay
- No running water – a bottle of water is provided for your stay
- Full Board: all meals provided – it is a long way to the nearest restaurant
- Option to camp outside
- Two hour drive north west from Jodhpur followed by a 45 minute camel (or jeep if preferred) ride
- Only one guest? When booking enter discount code ‘singlethar’ for a £14 reduction on the room rate.
- Sand and sky
- Desert animals
- Some vegetation
- Jeep or camel desert safaris to see wildlife and rural village life
- Local village trek
- Local crafts and trades: Shoe making with embroidery, animal husbandry, carpet making, camel trading
- Bird-watching / Ornithology
- Day for bird-watchers, includes a trip to see the Demoisil, a migratory bird which can be found only in one place
- Your host is a guide with perfect English, manners and is also a fountain of knowledge
- Two mud huts, with double beds
Only one guest? When booking enter discount code 'singlethar' for a £14 reduction on the room rate.
Click here to read Terms & Conditions